One morning in mid-December I woke up to an email from my web hosting company. It was automated, had been sent in the early hours of the morning and said that my website had been temporarily disabled. In short, it didn’t sound good.
I contacted the web hosts for more details. They’d taken my site offline thanks to hacker interference. They have a great online chat feature and said they could talk me through the steps I needed to take to fix the damage and get back online. I waited until I had a spare couple of hours later that day then got back in touch…
Unfortunately in this particular case the steps I needed to take seemed pretty much never-ending. Each time I changed a certain password or deleted a specified list of files or added an additional security feature the web hosts came back with more password changes, more lists of files, more security features. One bit of bad luck with a (probably automated) hacking attack was leading to hours and hours of fiddly technical tasks.
When it still wasn’t sorted by the Christmas week, I decided to put it on the back burner. Who wants to spend hours scrolling through lists of possibly-compromised web files when there’s delicious festive food to eat?!
2016 began and I renewed my efforts to get my website back online. Again, each time I solved one issue another would replace it. I finally reached the point when my web hosts were happy to lift restrictions and get my website back online. Hurrah!
As it happens, my cheer was fairly short lived. Though the site was back online and all looked well from the outside… something was wrong with the WordPress back end and I couldn’t actually log into it. Ah. This was even more of a challenge as the problem was apparently to do with the coding of my website rather than the hosts and so my really-helpful-up-until-that-point hosting company weren’t able to offer any more advice.
If I’m honest, I ignored the problem for a few weeks. I had lots of client projects on the go and finding the time for frustrating tech tasks in between those important working hours, being a parent and occasionally getting something that passed for a full night’s sleep was not easy. And, well, I had a website that looked nice even if I couldn’t actually do anything with it.
Two months later the problem is finally fixed and I am able to bring my enforced blog break to a close. I’m not sure there’s a moral to this particular story… but it definitely feels good to be back.
Coming up; fun links, productivity chat and wordy musings. See you soon!